Thursday, November 7, 2013

Episode 16: God bless the souls that shook up mine...

Two weeks ago, six college students piled into a Chevy Tahoe (a vehicle we would affectionately name Patsy), and with me--their trusty college chaplain--as their driver, made their way to Nashville.

My mission was simple: help these students answer their call, nudge them in the direction of a divine "yes."

You see, each of these young men and women--they feel called to be teachers and preachers and healers, bringers of the good news and repairers of the breach.  They are beginning to think about their vocation, about their mission and they're drawn toward theological education.

The Spirit is pulling them toward ministry in its many forms and so I did what anybody would do in this amazing, awe-inspiring situation...

I took them to the place and introduced them to the people who taught me what ministry means, who helped me discern my own call, the place that gave me roots in prophetic witness and nurtured my growth as pastor and teacher, servant and partner.

It was good to be back at Vanderbilt Divinity School.  New faces are there, different coffee hour treats, but the energy, the drive, the promise of making this world better, the commitment to seeking change, loving God, and doing justice.....well, some things never change.

On the way home from Nashville, in between the kind of sharing and laughter that only happens on long car trips with incredible 18 to 22 year olds, a song by the Milk Carton Kids came on the radio and a string of lyrics attached themselves to my heart.

God bless the souls that shook up mine they sang.

Indeed.

God bless Vanderbilt Divinity School.  God bless the Disciples Divinity House. God bless the incredible Westminster College students who feel called to give and love and serve, to shake up this world.

God bless the souls that shook up mine. 







1 comment: