Sunday, June 29, 2014

Episode 28: On Waking Up Married

Loving Spirit, loving Spirit,/you have chosen me to be/you have drawn me to your wonder/you have set your sign on me

Tomorrow morning Sarah and I will wake up married. Yep, you read that right. At either 12:01 a.m. or 2:01 a.m. Central Time (we're not quite sure about time zones) Sarah and I will be legally married according to the state of Washington. If you're confused, read more here. 

Legal rights are great. I'm a big fan. I'm thankful.

But in some ways tomorrow morning is just an ordinary day.

It's an ordinary day because on October 6, 2012, Sarah and I stood in front of many friends and family; we opened our lives before our God and the church; we broke bread and drank wine, and it was then--there at the table--there before a sea of faces singing in four part harmony, that I made a commitment and a covenant to spend the rest of my life with Sarah Nichole. 

Friend and lover, in your closeness/I am known and held and blessed;/in your promised is my comfort,/in your presence I may rest.

These lyrics from a favorite hymn of mine were our vows to one another then and they remain the vows we hold this evening.

Whether or not a judge or a court or a country acknowledge our love for one another; marriage or no marriage; rights or no rights; our covenant remains the same.  Our covenant with one another, with you--our dear family and friends--and with our faith community and our God; this has not changed. 

Loving Spirit, loving Spirit,/you have chosen me to be/you have drawn me to your wonder/you have set your sign on me

Tomorrow we'll be married y'all.
It's amazing and, you know, it's just an ordinary, blessed, sacred, simple day.  

Thanks be to God. 

Thanks. Be. To. God.



No comments:

Post a Comment